Leinster Rugby

Leinster’s Cian Healy asked to leave flight as Leinster’s mini-tour hits another snag




Cian Healy during Leinster Rugby Squad Training at Bishops in Cape Town, South Africa. Photo by Grant Pritcher/Sportsfile
Gallery 1
Cian Healy during Leinster Rugby Squad Training at Bishops in Cape Town, South Africa. Photo by Grant Pritcher/Sportsfile

Leinster’s incident-packed mini-tour of South Africa hit another snag yesterday after Ireland prop Cian Healy was asked to leave their flight from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town.

The 29-year-old was reviewing Saturday’s game against the Southern Kings on his laptop after the passengers were told to stop using electronic equipment.

To the surprise of the player, his fellow squad members and passengers a member of the South African Express cabin crew asked that the plane be turned around and the player was asked to leave when it returned to the terminal.

The police were not asked to get involved and after making an apology Healy was booked on to the next flight with the same airline later that afternoon.

He arrived and linked up with the squad, trained earlier today and remains in contention to play against the Cheetahs on Friday night.

“It was an unfortunate incident, apologies were made and we moved on,” Leinster chief executive Mick Dawson told independent.ie in Cape Town.

A statement from Leinster Rugby confirmed the incident.

"Leinster Rugby can confirm that Cian Healy was asked to leave yesterday afternoon's flight from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town," it read.

"The issue related to a misunderstanding around the use of a laptop during the approach to take off.

"Cian disembarked the plane and took the next available flight to Cape Town with the same airline.

"Cian apologised sincerely to all concerned at the time for any inconvenience caused.

"He re-joined the squad last night in Cape Town and trained today in Bishop's College."

The incident follows Leinster’s issues at immigration last week when captain Isa Nacewa and scrum-half Jamison Gibson-Park were refused entry because they did not have the correct visas.

The province have accepted responsibility for that incident and the pair have returned to South Africa with the correct paper-work and both are likely to feature in Bloemfontein on Friday night.

Dawson has revealed the lengths to which Leinster went to get the New Zealanders into South Africa at the highest levels of government.

“The visa thing was really unfortunate. We weren't aware that the rule had changed last January and the information we had was that we didn't need visas,” he said.

“We put our hands up, we made a mistake. We won a court case down here, saying they could stay, and then they were thrown out of the country by the minister.

“When we went home we had visas within 12 hours. It's unfortunate.”

Leinster are in South Africa to play two Guinness PRO14 games. Despite losing Nacewa and Gibson-Park, they secured a bonus point win over the Southern Kings and hope to follow it up with a similar result against the Cheetahs on Friday night.

Online Editors

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Email

More on this Story

Latest Leinster Rugby

Most Read

  1. Felipe Contepomi set to remain with Leinster but veterans Fardy and Toner face uncertain future
  2. Relief for Sexton as Cullen says he'll link up with Ireland after 'precautionary' withdrawal
  3. 'We shared quite a bit of information with them' - How Leinster are learning from one of rugby's greatest teams
  4. Owen Farrell suspended for Champions Cup quarter-final with Leinster
  5. 'The concussion thing was scary, I count myself very lucky that I got out of rugby when I did'


Most Watched